Dal Makhni is a most popular dal dish of Punjab. Its buttery flavour and creamy texture gives this dish a unique popularity.
- Sabut Mash ki Dal/ Mah de Dal (Black whole lentil) 1 cup
- Rajma/Lal lobia (Red Kidney Beans) 1 tablespoon
- Onion chopped 1
- Tomatoes chopped 2
- Ginger paste 1 teaspoon
- Garlic paste 1 teaspoon
- Green Chillies for garnish 2
- Fresh Coriander leaves for garnish
- Fresh whipped cream for garnish 1 table spoon
- Salt to taste
- Red Chillies 1 teaspoon
- Haldi 1/2 teaspoon
- Coriander powder 1 teaspoon
- Asafoetida (Hing) 1 pinch
- Garam Masala 1/2 teaspoon
- Butter 1/2 cup
- Garlic cloves chopped into discs 4-5
- Cumin seed whole 1 teaspoon
- Red Chillies whole 3-4
- Ginger cut into sticks (Julienne cut) 1 teaspoon
- Soak sabut mash ki dal and rajma in water 5-6 hours.
- Take 2-3 cup water in a pan add dal, rajma , onions, tomatoes, ginger garlic paste and spices.
- Continue to cook on medium flame till dal and rajma are tender.
- Slightly mash with hand masher, then garnish with fresh coriander leaves, green chillies and fresh cream.
- Simmer for 1-2 minutes.
- Dal Makhni is ready for Tarka.
- Heat butter in a frying pan.
- Add garlic cloves , fry till light golden.
- Then add red chillies whole, cumin seed and ginger, fry for 1-2 minutes.
- Pour over the prepared Dal Makhni.
- Dal Makhni is ready to serve.
- Serve with Roti/ boiled Rice and pickle.