Punjabi Mathian are the oldest dessert in Punjabi culture. It is prepared on ceremonies, wedding religious festivals. Rabi ul Awal is the start of wedding season in Muslims of Punjab (Pakistani and Indian) so it is the good days for Mathian preparation. Today is the 1st day of Rabil awal in Pakistan the celebration start for Birth of Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon Him). The below recipe is my mother's recipe.
- Flour (atta) 3-4 cup
- Gurr (jaggery) 1 cup finely crushed by beaten
- Fennel 1 teaspoon
- Ghee/Butter/Desi ghee 2 teaspoon
- Baking soda one pinch
- Water as desired
- Oil for frying
- Add all ingredients to atta except water.
- Mix well by rubbing and kneading.
- Now add water in little portion and knead well to a hard dough.
- Make round patties of 3-4 inch in dia and biscuit size thickness.
- Fry in hot oil on medium flame one by one.
- Delicious Punjabi Mathian are ready.
- Serve on cool or store and use as desired.