Shireen Pulao is a very very popular dish of Iran and Azerbaijan. Shireen Pulao is made with chicken and sweetened with sugar and nuts and dry fruits. It is a very delicious and eye appealing dish. There is a very small difference between the Irani and Azerbaijani version. In Iran orange zest, grated carrot, are used with sugar syrup and nuts and dry fruits, while in Azerbaijan dates, dry apricots are used with sugar syrup and nuts and other dry fruits.
Ingredients For Chicken Curry:
- Chicken boneless cubes/breast fillets 1 kg
- Oil 1 cup
- Onion chopped 1
- Ginger paste 1 teaspoon (optional)
- Garlic paste 1 teaspoon (optional)
- Yoghurt 1 cup (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper whole 1 teaspoon
- Cinnamon sticks 3-4 pieces
- Cardamom small 6
- Cloves 10
- Fry onion in oil till golden brown.
- Add ginger garlic pastes if using.
- Add spices fry for 1 minute then add chicken pieces fry for 3 minutes (Add yoghurt at this stage if using and fry for 5-6 minutes) then lower the flame and cook till chicken is tender.
- Chicken Curry is ready for Shireen Pulao.
- Fine quality Rice 1/2 kg
- Salt 1 and 1/2 teaspoon
- Water 4-5 glass
- Boil Rice in water and salt till almost cook.
- Drain and keep aside.
- Saffron 1/4 teaspoon
- Warm milk 1/4 cup
- Add saffron to warm milk, stir and aside.
- Pistachio 1 tablespoon
- Almonds 1 tablespoon
- Raisin 1 tablespoon
- Dry dates seedless/pitted 8-10
- Dry Apricot seedless/pitted 8-10
- Dry Plum 6
- Sugar 1 cup
- Carrot grated 1
- Orange zest/peel from orange, fine strips
- Boil orange peels in 1-2 cup water. Darin.
- Now in 1 cup water add sugar, boiled orange zest, grated carrot and all the nuts and dry fruits and cook on medium flame till a thick syrup is obtained.
Now all the materials are ready to cook Shireen Pulao.
1 tablespoon melted butter will also be needed for garnish.
- Take a large pan , arrange bottom layer of cooked chicken curry.
- Spread over it boiled rice.
- Sprinkle at this rice layer prepared Saffron Colour and melted butter 1 tablespoon.
- On top layer spread prepared nut and dry fruits sugar syrup.
- Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Delicious Shireen Pulao is Ready to Serve.
- Serve with grilled tomatoes using butter.