Wonderful dish from Punjab. Meat and Kabuli Chana tastes good when cooked together. It is very nutritious and delicious dish.
|Punjabi Kofta Chana|
- Kabuli chana (Garbanzo beans) 250 g
- Minced meat (mutton) 1/2 kg
- Oil 1 cup
- Yoghurt 1/2 cup
- Onion chopped 2-3
- Ginger paste 1 teaspoon
- Garlic paste 1 teaspoon
- Fresh Coriander leaves for garnish
- Salt to taste
- Chilli powder to taste
- Haldi powder 1/2 teaspoon
- Cumin seeds 1 teaspoon
- Coriander powder 1 teaspoon
- Garam Masala 1 teaspoon
- Poppy seeds soaked and crushed 1 tablespoon
- Bhuna chana powder 1 tablespoon
- Soak Kabuli chana in water for 5-6 hours.
- Wash then boil in enough water.
- Drain and keep aside.
- Now mix all spices together.
- Make 2 portions. One for meat balls(kofta) and other for curry.
- Fry onion in oil till golden and crispy.
- Remove the fried onion from oil , cool on kitchen towel and then grind. Make two portion of fried and grinded onion.
- Now add 1/2 quantity of spices, 1/2 quantity of grinded onion, and 1/4 cup of yoghurt to the minced meat. and knead well.
- Then process in an electric processor for smooth texture.
- Now make table tennis ball size meat balls from this mixture.
- Keep aside.
- Now in the same oil in which onions are fried add remaining half portion of grinded onion, yoghurt and spices.
- Also add ginger and garlic and fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Add 1-2 glass water and cook on medium flame for 10 minutes.
- Now introduce prepared meat balls (Koftas) carefully and continue to cook on low flame till meat balls are tender ( 45-90 minutes).
- At last add boiled chick pea and cook on simmering heat for 10-15 minutes with careful stirring.
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
- Delicious Punjabi Kofta Chana is ready.
- Serve hot with tandoori roti and Fresh mint-coriander raita in yoghurt.