We were celebrating Eid ul Azha past week. Every house have a lot of meat stored in their refrigerator. I decided to make a Dutch (Netherlands - Holland) dish Gehaktballen to give a different taste to my family and friends. It is a very popular dish of Netherlands. I wrote to a Dutch friend https://www.facebook.com/irmgard.sandersenoordman for tips and recipes. Although she was in Hospital at Ulm Germany she send us her mothers recipes and serving suggestions. We dedicate our this recipe to her Family and pray for her and her son Thomas's good health.
Ingredients for meatball:
- Beef , boneless cubes 1 kg
- (I am not using minced meat, normally minced meat is used)
- Butter/Oil 4-8 tablespoon
- Onion chopped 2
- Egg beaten 1
- Bread slices 2-3
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper 1 teaspoon
- Nutmeg 1/4 teaspoon
- Mustard powder 2-3 teaspoon
- Paprika powder 1/2 teaspoon
- Boiled potatoes mashed 4-5
- Boiled spinach 2-3 cup
- Bread slices as needed
- Mix together beef cubes, onions chopped, egg, bread slices, salt and spices.
- Then process in an electric food processor/chopper to a smooth texture.
- Now make tennis ball size meat ball from this mixture. Keep aside.
- Heat butter in a pan and fry these meatball in it on medium flame till tender in portions or one by one.
- Delicious Gehaktballen are ready to serve
- Now add little water to the remaining butter and leftover to make a sauce.
- Boil potatoes and boiled spinach can be mixed together for serving or can be serve separately.
- Serve with butter sauce, boiled potatoes , boiled spinach and bread.